Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Lean, green, mean fighting machines

TMNT

Ah Turtles; now that takes me back. I remember being mad about the toys (I had “Raphael” and my brother had “Leonardo”). We even had the “Turtle Van”! :D Of course I used to LOVE the cartoon as well, with its exceptional use of dangerous weapons and its killer theme song. And who can forget the classic Sega Megadrive Turtles game, closely modelled on “Streets of Rage” with its brilliant two-player co-op mode! Even the live action movies (with their freakishly realistic animatronic heads) had a huge impression on me when I was a wee lad. So you can imagine that I approached this movie with a certain level of nostalgia brewing in my bones.

The film wasn’t what I’d hoped for, but in saying that, I certainly wasn’t its intended audience. I hate to face facts, but I’m just not 10 anymore! :P From an adult perspective, I could scrutinise it and tear it apart, but I think that would be a little unfair to the movie. It would have been nice if they’d made it appeal to both kids AND adults (a small allowance for the hoards of original Turtle fans flocking to see it). But I certainly can’t take from it the fact that it was a fun movie and the writer/director Kevin Munroe stayed very true to the spirit of the original comics and cartoon :)

No comments: