Sunday, June 10, 2007

Acceptable in the 40s


CALL ME IRRESPONSIBLE ~ Michael Bublé

Quality seems to be on a bit of a downward spiral when it comes to Michael Bublés output. I simply adored his self-titled debut, where he put his own stamp on a few old standards. What impressed me most though, was how he took some contemporary songs and “jazzified” them (sometimes a lil, in other cases a LOT). His follow up "Its Time" followed a similar approach, but the choice of older material was less than inspired.


His latest effort (if you can call it that) “Call Me Irresponsible” just comes off bland and uninteresting. Maybe the novelty of the whole jazzy/swing trip has worn away, but I’ve really grown tired by his lack of innovation in the genre. I won’t accept the reasoning that just because its jazz, then you HAVE to sing a cover, or it HAS to sound dated. I would point sceptics towards Linas first album “Stranger on Earth” or Christinas “Back to Basics” for how brand new songs can have a jazzy or big band twist to them. Sadly, it seems as if Bublé is content to regurgitate album after album of covers, which is not an appealing thought, and a waste of talent as far as I’m concerned.

I still can’t fault his smooth voice, which handles the range he’s given quite admirably, but there’s the distinct sense that he’s not pushing himself vocally as much as he once was.

Unless it’s an absolute corker, I’ll be giving his next one a miss.

No comments: