Wednesday, March 05, 2008

I demand a recount!

As it is becoming apparent now, the themes on Idol are slowly moving through the decades, this week being the 70s. Its just a shame they'll be finished with the pre-shows before they even come close to anything musically current. Oh well. This time round I was a little more familiar with the contestants, so I thought I'd be all ready to pick out my favourites. How wrong could I have been?

First up were the lads. Michael has been pretty consistent up to this point, so I was very disappointed with his performance this week. The vocals just weren't there. Jason C, my early fav from last week barely registered this time round. Maybe it was just the song, but I think he needs to adopt a slightly different style for next week if hes going to make any kind of lasting impression. Luke (who I fully expected to be sent home last week) took a bit of a risk singing "Killer Queen", a great song and a HARD song to sing (so I gotta at least give him props for that). He managed all the notes, but with that song, you expect massive Mercury PRESENCE along with it, so its not like he had a hope in comparison!

Robbie again sounded quite lovely, but the song choice left a lot to be desired. Also, I have a feeling that if the judges hadn't kept harping on about it, I wouldn't have the word "FAKER" blinking in my mind whenever hes on screen. Just goes to show, the judges opinions can be quite deciding! On that note, I felt like Paula was perhaps wearing her sober hat because most of her comments were not only understandable, but particularly relevant!

Danny (my other fav of the bunch) went with and pretty much mangled one of my most loved Carpenter songs. At that stage, I could clearly see a big sign around his neck that read "going home" (again, how wrong could I be!). David H. pulled off another solid vocal this week, but I'm still finding it uncomfortable watching him. I think its something about his eyes....
Jason Y. was, for a second week in a row, crapola. Simon was unnecessarily mean towards him though. Almost made me feel sorry for the guy........almost.

Chikezie followed and bowled me over with a surprisingly amazing performance. Like, where the hell did that come from?! I'm still quite put off by his attitude (and his lack of fashion sense, but who am I to talk?). David C. (which his still hedious hair......jeez, sort that out already, would you?) was up next and gave what I thought was the most convincing performance from the so-called "rockers" of this season. I wasn't all that wild on the song.........a bit too predictable for me.

Last was David A. Good god, can this guy emote or WHAT?! It was easily the best performance of the night (especially shocking considering how young he is). I wouldn't go so far as to say it was the best vocal ever on the show (the judges are really prone to exaggeration this season, it would seem), but it definitely worked for me. I'm still kind of annoyed he went with that song though, cause in my opinion, anyone who sings it gets an unfair advantage of having all that goodwill behind them, it behind one of the most loved songs of all time.

Next were the gurls. Carly kicked things off with a slightly rocking performance, but I swear, all I could see were her bouncy boobs all over the gaff. Syesha followed that up with a snoozey rendition of "Mister Jones". I know this girl can sing, but the song just didn't allow her to demonstrate it. Better luck next week, luv. Brooke struck song choice gold with "You're So Vain", but given how she's still stuck in "nice" mode, it was an odd rendition and I'm still not wowed by her.

Ramiele went with an uptempo disco number (to keep things fresh). Even though I'm still in love with her and the sound of her voice, I felt like the song got away from her at times, like the tempo was that LIL bit too fast for her. Kristey Lee Cook (who will from now on be referred to as KLC) appeared on-stage looking exactly like Felicity. You'd think that that would make me like her a little, but no, she was still far too generic. I loved her top though, it was like fashion from the future!

Amanda was up next and the first thing that hit you (almost literally) was that SHOCK of hair on her head. Now really, someone needs to tell her to tone it down a lil (in fact, I think Paula did just that during her critique!). The song, which I love, didn't work for her at ALL and showed up her lack of singing chops. Alaina picked a perfect song for her and sang the hell out of it. Even though she TOTALLY missed a few of the high notes it was still one of my fav performances of the night. Shame the judges didn't like it one bit!

Next was Alexandrea, who was my fav of the girls at this point. I cant say I was thrilled with the song choice (a mite boring), but she sang it perfectly and did a beautiful lil harmonic thing towards the end that really encapsulated the style of singing of the period. Naturally, the judges didn't like her either. Kady blazed on stage and made my ears bleed for a minute and a half. Asia'h ended the girls show. Granted, she was sick, but that doesn't excuse a terrible vocal. Why sing a song with gratuitously high power notes if you simply cant pull them off? The whole thing left a bad taste in my mouth. Perhaps it will have washed out by next week :P

The results were, in a word, shocking. I don't think I've ever been quite so angered by an Idol results show before. On the boys side, Jason and Robbie were sent packing. Jason going was a foregone conclusion while I think Robbie should have hung in there a few more shows. Of the girls, Alexandrea and Alaina got the boot, which was just plain wrong! >:( Both girls gave infinitely better performances than most of the other girls and it was a crime to see them leave the show so early. I guess I'll have to find another girl to dote on for next week!

No comments: