Tuesday, March 06, 2007

"Feeling Good", but sent home anyway!

Week two of the knockout stage and the girls still managed to put the guys to shame. When it comes to talent, there seems to be a clear imbalance this year between the genders. Though that didn’t stop Tayler winning it last year, so no point counting my chickens JUST yet!

On the guys night, there was a marginal improvement all round over last week. Phil Stacey opened the show with an impressive performance. No matter how much he freaks me out with his “alien” look, I just cant fault his voice. Jason Mraz is one of my fav artists, so when Chris Richardson took on one of his songs, I was highly sceptical. Turns out I had no reason to be, as he managed to pull off a very tricky song with alarming ease. Sundance Head WAS good this week, but I still cant bring myself around to actually liking him. The rest of the guys were just OK, some slightly more passable than others.

The girls had another great week. Stephanie Edwards tackled Beyonces “Dangerously in Love” and even though its not my fav song in the world, she did a fantastic job on it. Sabrina Sloan ended the show with a Whitney classic and sang it just perfectly. Nobody expected Lakisha Jones to live up to last week, and she didn’t, but that was down to the song (which gets sung every single damn year on Idol). I’ll admit that Gina Glocksen sung well again this week, but there’s something about her I don’t like. She thinks shes a lot better than she actually is. Melinda Doolittle showed immense control over her voice during her rendition of “My Funny Valentine”, but I really didn’t enjoy the arrangement of the song (sounded like something that would be played in a lounge bar), so that took from the whole performance somewhat.
The rest of the girls were ok, but a few were CLEARLY out of their league and needed to be sent home. Sadly, that didn’t happen >:(

Alaina Alexander and Nicholas Pedro got voted off first, which I totally agreed with. But I think it was a little bit early for Leslie Hunt and AJ Tabaldo to get the boot. Ok, so they were never going to make the final 12, but they were still miles better than some of the remaining contestants (Antonella Barba and Sanjaya Malakar, to be specific). At least this week the judges had the decency to act a little surprised and mildly annoyed that two moderately good singers were sent home in favour of to moderately bad ones.

No comments: