Wednesday, January 09, 2008

My 5 Favs of 2007 - Movies

Let me just preface this by saying that for me, 2007 was a very disappointing year for films. Granted, it might just have been the films I went to see in the cinema that were poor. No doubt I’ll catch up on some decent movies when they eventually make their way to DVD (“The Assassination of Jesse James” and “Disturbia” are two I’m quite sorry I missed on the big screen). But for the most part, the cinema and I just didn’t see eye to eye. I’ve managed to just about pick out 5 films that I was generally happy with.

1) STARDUST

For me, this was such a fun movie and all of its components (actors, story, music, production) came together so very nicely. Everything a modern fairytale should be.

2) HAIRSPRAY

While it dragged a wee bit in the middle, this movie was a breath of fresh air in an otherwise stodgy year of cinema. With its rollicking soundtrack and exceptionally enthusiastic cast, it sent me home from the cinema with a big stupid grin on my face.

3) THE BOURNE ULTIMATUM

The pace was a little frantic, but I really couldn’t have asked for a better ending to a consistently entertaining series of films.

4) APOCALYPTO

Mel Gibsons chase movie is so visually arresting that it almost works without the subtitles. The cast of no names did a fantastic job too.

5) 3:10 TO YUMA

A surprisingly enjoyable western. Russell Crowe pulled another fantastic performance out of that arrogant ass of his! Shame about the ending though.

No comments: