Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Tell no one


MY SECRET LOVER ~ Private

Once again, all thanks must go to “Popjustice.com” for highlighting an obscure band I’d otherwise never have come in contact with. I can’t say I know all that much about Private, apart from the fact that they hail from Denmark and are fronted by an unusual looking chap named “Thomas Troelsen”. But what I do know is that they have managed to release one of THE best pop albums of recent memory.

The band has a very distinct sound. You’d swear that the songs were recorded back in the early 80s (which I think has a lot to do with the analogue equipment they used when recording). The whole thing is very electronic, fused with a classic late 70s / early 80s disco sound. If I had to make a fumbling comparison, I’d say that the album is an exciting mishmash of Prince, Wham, Michael Jackson and the Scissor Sisters.

The songs are mostly infectious up-tempo numbers, guaranteed to have your toes tapping or hips wiggling, although there are a few mellower tracks to let you catch your breath. The overall mood is light and breezy with carefree (and sometimes nonsensical) lyrics. My only complaint (which is no doubt just me being hyper critical) is that the songs are mostly chorus, but when you’ve got choruses THAT good, there’s no harm hearing them repeatedly!!

The album really is a hidden gem, and although its not (currently) available from local shops or even many online stores, I’d consider it an essential purchase for any pop aficionado. Its certainly one of my favourite albums of the year :D

The album can be purchased from CDWOW at the link below:
http://www13.cd-wow.com/detail_results.php?product_code=2385916

Standout Tracks:
The whole bloomin thing!

No comments: